Learning ethical marketing techniques
The popular persuasion principles used in sales copywriting can be used to convince people to buy a program that’s not the right fit or spend thousands of dollars they don’t have. As digital marketing assistants and specialists, we don’t want this for our clients or ourselves. It’s unethical, it’s bad for business, and it’s just gross.
That’s why copywriter Tarzan Kay is here to break down what she’s learned about coercive sales and email strategies since building her 7-figure copywriting business, and why she tore it all down.
Tarzan Kay teaches email marketing skills to online businesses, digital course creators, and freelance service providers. She came up in her career writing copy for popular programs in the online marketing space, and very soon created her own programs teaching business owners how to write story-powered emails. Now she’s a leader in revealing how the use of Cialdini’s principles of persuasion can cause harm, especially in the coaching industry. She has now dedicated her work to undoing that harm, and teaching sales strategies that leave space for conversation and critical thinking.
We are covering a lot in this episode from email marketing and sequences to storytelling sequences and style sheets.
You’ll walk away with:
- The promo email you can’t live without
- Why inbox management is a crucial responsibility
- The data point that Tarzan evaluates the success of her nurture emails
- What should be in your client’s brand voice guide that you probably forgot
- Audio-email strategy Tarzan uses weekly
- How to be inclusive in your copywriting
You’ll want to listen to this episode so you’re in the loop on your client’s behalf. You can make sure they’re not using coercive copywriting and unconscious bias in their marketing. It really does start with us and the copy we put out; we can be leaders with our clients.
The Virtual Writer with Michelle Hunter — an 8-week high-touch, intensive writing experience for virtual assistants to learn how to deliver highly-valued copywriting services and position themselves as a writing assistant and copywriter. Runs April 3-June 19, join the waitlist here.
- Blog Post: How Live Events Perpetuate the Cult of Online Business, Ethical Marketing 101: an Actionable Guide with Examples
- Book: The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron* this is an Amazon affiliate link
- Book: Influence the Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini* this is an Amazon affiliate link
- Apply for the Digital Marketer’s Workgroup — a referral community for freelance marketers and assistants.
Tune in to more Copywriting Series Episodes on Unicorns Unite:
- How to Build Copywriting Confidence with Michelle Hunter #150
- How to Add Your Personality to Your Copy with Laura Belgray #148
- How to Build a Freelance Copywriting Business with Amy Leisner #147
- The 5 C’s of Copywriting with Kim Kiel #146
- The Story Stripdown with Marisa Corcoran #145