Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | iHeartRadio
Add Your Personality to Your Copy
Laura “effing” Belgray is known for writing the only emails you’ll ever read.
In a noisy digital age where open rates are dropping, lists are shrinking, and email inboxes are flooded and abandoned, Laura’s emails get the Holy Grail of opens and clicks.
How does she do it? By adding personality.
Today, she’ll break down how to add personality to your copy (and your clients’) so that your subscribers, followers, and fans actually want to read your stuff. And buy too.
Her writing tricks will help you stand out in the crowded marketplace of digital service providers and actually get your clients results. (And if your clients have success, you have success! Cha-ching!)
Laura, founder of Talking Shrimp and co-creator of The Copy Cure, is a copywriting expert who helps entrepreneurs find the *perfect* words to express and sell what they do in a way that gets them paid to be themselves. Through her work with hundreds of clients (including online biggies like Marie Forleo and Amy Porterfield), she’s seen firsthand that putting “you” into your copy and all through your business is pure magic for getting people to love you up, share your ideas, and happily click your buy button.
In addition to online types, Laura’s list of clients and credits include NBC, Bravo, HBO, TBS, Fandango, and many, many more. So if you watch TV — and don’t skip the commercials — you’ve probably seen her words on air.
Listen and learn as Laura shares:
- How to write emails that actually get opened
- Her method to recycling previous popular emails
- Why Active Campaign is on her hitlist (kidding, not kidding)
- The most important email to have in every launch
- 5 tips for writing subject lines that get the open
- Her strategies behind writing preview text
- The story behind her disclaimer text
And most importantly, Laura gives solid advice for jumping into the copywriter role when you’re new and organizational hacks to operating behind the scenes as a digital marketing assistant for a “nightmare” client like Laura.
Make sure you preorder her new book “Tough Titties,” which comes out June 13. She calls it the “late bloomer’s coming of age” and her husband calls it “Loser Sex in the City”.
The Virtual Writer with Michelle Hunter — an 8-week high-touch, intensive writing experience for virtual assistants to learn how to deliver highly-valued copywriting services and position themselves as a writing assistant and copywriter. Runs April 3- June 19, join the waitlist here.
Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Grab your seat at The Digital Marketer’s Roundtable: Launch Manager Edition — we’ll have a live panel discussion of marketing experts to talk about the client work that goes into launches. It’s $97 and happens Tuesday, March 14 at 12pm est.
- Apply here for the Digital Marketer’s Workgroup, enrollment opens March 19
Emily’s List of Recommended Copywriting Books
Connect with Laura Belgray:
Connect with Laura Belgray:
- Instagram: @laurabelgray
- Facebook: @talkingshrimp
- Website: talkingshrimp.com
- Download her Story Goldmine
- Download her 33 Non-Sucky Subject Lines
- Pre-Order Her Book “Tough Titties”
- Inbox Hero: Email Copywriting Course
- Join the waitlist: The Copy Cure
- Laura’s Welcome Sequence Workshop: coming soon